Leave The Alcohol To The Humans
Are you going to a 4th of July party this year? Is your pup tagging along for the fun? If so, be careful your pooch doesn’t try to sneak in any booze! Yes, alcohol is very toxic to our floofins so you will want to be sure your pup isn’t licking any remaining beer out of the bottle, or the unsuspecting partygoer doesn’t pour a puddle on the ground to be slurped up by your dog. “Oh a little bit won’t hurt him”, is a common saying for those unaware of how toxic a small amount of alcohol can be.
Ethanol is the principle type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages. Dogs and cats are far more sensitive to it than humans. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, mild to severe symptoms of alcohol poisoning include:
- Distended stomach/bloat
- Elevated heart rate
- Low blood pressure
Now that home brewing is becoming popular, the risk for exposure to hops increases. Hops is a plant used in the process of brewing beer. Hops plugs are whole flowers that have been dried and compressed and seem to be more toxic than hops pellets. Depending on the amount ingested, mild to severe symptoms include:
- Elevated body temperature
- Increased breathing
Alcohol poisoning isn’t limited to beer, wine, and mixed drinks. Your floofins can also experience the above symptoms if raw bread containing live yeast is ingested. As the yeast multiplies in the stomach it produces alcohols that can be absorbed resulting in alcohol intoxication.
Always be aware of your surroundings, especially when your pets are joining in the festivities and remember to drink responsibly. If you think your floofin may have been exposed to something poisonous, call your vet or emergency pet clinic immediately.