Is there anything more adorable than a dog in a tux and including your pet in your wedding?
Spring has sprung, and wedding season has begun. Pets are fur babies and often play an important role in many couples daily lives. It is only right that pet parents include them in their wedding ceremonies. If you are hoping to include your pet in your upcoming nuptials, here are some things to think about as your plan your special day to include your friends, family and furry companions, and maybe even your dog walker or pet sitter.
- Pet Personality. When deciding what exactly your pet’s role will be in your wedding, consider their personality and limitations. It might be fun to work with a trainer prior to the big day and have your pet act as your flower girl, or ring bearer by teaching them how to carry a basket or a ring pillow. Some pets may be able to handle walking down the aisle in a large crowd, while other pets might best be a guest of honor and stand with the wedding party. Will your pet feel comfortable with your wedding party or guests? Will you be able to handle your pet in case they don’t behave as expected?
- Pet Wedding Checklist. Once you have decided on the role your pet will take; check off the basics: confirm your pet is allowed at the ceremony site; call your photographer and let them know your pet will be at the ceremony and determine what poses you will include your fur baby; also determine if you would like your pet included in engagement photos; and inform your guests that pets will be present at your ceremony to they can plan in case of allergies.
- Dress Code. Determine what your pet will be wearing for your special day. Make sure your pet’s dress fits properly and doesn’t cause any discomfort for your pet. You can go with a nice flower or bow tie attachment to their collar, a wedding color coordinated hair bow or even as far as a custom made tuxedo (yes, we have attended at such a wedding and he was ADORABLE).
- Toxic. Be cognizant of your flower choices and avoid those that are toxic to pets.
- Pet Professionals. Hire a professional pet sitter to be your pet wedding attendant. A pet sitter can handle transporting your pets to and from your wedding, dress and handle them at the ceremony (including pre wedding potty breaks) and even pet sit during the reception and though the honeymoon. Work with a trainer well in advance of your wedding date if you wish to have your dog show off a wedding specific trick.
Wedding season is wonderful and adding furry creatures to the mix is even better. One more great reception idea before we part, don’t forget to have dog bone or kitty treat wedding favors for your guests with fur kids at home!