As we head into July and August, hot temperatures can really have an impact on our pets. Let’s discuss some of the potential hazards that might be present in your surroundings as summer heats up.
According to the Association for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), there are a number of things to consider during hot weather.
- Heartworm. While heartworm may not be the first thing that comes to mind, heartworm is a risk factor. Moosquitos are out and they transmit the disease. Get your pet checked for heartworm and keep her on preventative medication.
- Dehydration. Like humans, pets need to get plenty of water and have a shady or cool spot to keep their internal temperature regulated.
- Parked cars. We know that it can heat up quickly inside a car. This means potential heat stroke or death. And, in some states it is illegal.
- Pools. Pets shouldn’t be unsupervised. Not every pet is a good swimmer. And if you use pool covers, the potential for an unattended pet to get trapped is real.
- Open, unscreened windows. Pets can fall out of windows that are open and unscreened. Also, if you live in a high-rise with a patio or balcony make sure your pet is never left unattended. A fall from a significant distance can be fatal and can potentially injure others below.
- Asphalt. We know the road gets hot. If your pet is low to the ground, not only can they get an overheated body from absorbing heat into their belly, they can burn the pads on their paws.
For other hazards go to https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/hot-weather-safety-tips.
Be safe and keep an eye on your senior pets as the summer sun raises the mercury in those thermometers.
We want to see your Floofins all year long! If you’ve been a client of Floofins & Co. for a while, you may be familiar with the annual calendar. We like trying new formats and decided to give our clients an opportunity to participate in the creation of the 2021 calendar.
Here’s how it will work:
- Photos must be of Floofins & Co. clients
- Photos must be posted to our Facebook page
- The individual photos with the most votes/likes will be selected
How It Works
What does that mean? Well, over the next several days, you will see a Facebook post with the 2020 pet for each month of the year. Your job is to scroll through the thousands and thousands of pet photos on your phone or tablet or laptop and locate one that best fits that particular month. For example, October had a picture of a pet in their Halloween costume. January had a New Year celebration going on with a dog in glasses. Whatever you think represents that month and showcases your floofin…. drop the photo on that post.
From there, the votes/likes will be noted and the winner will be the one with the most likes. Tell your friends and family to vote! We are so excited to be able to let the Floofins Family make their own calendar.
One side note: We will have to go to print in November, so there will be a time limit on the voting and submissions. So, get out there and, as they say in Chicago, vote early and vote often.
When can you post your pictures? Keep an eye out on Facebook. As soon as you see the month uploaded, you can submit your picture. Voting begins as soon as photos are added.
We hope you enjoy this adventure and the opportunity to make your floofin famous. Well, at least among the Floofins & Co. family. Now, start scrolling through those pictures!
We love celebrations! Birthdays, gotcha-days, pool parties, holidays, you name it, we don’t mind celebrating it.
One of the best parts of our days, and probably yours as well, is seeing all of these great pictures of your pets from our visits. The kind of great pictures that make you wanna celebrate! So, that got us to thinking… why not celebrate our Floofins’ birthdays?
So, starting next month, we will randomly select one pet that we care for that has a birthday that month. If you haven’t done so, make sure to go out to your profile and update your pet’s information so they will appear in our birthday list. (While you are out there, be sure all of your other important information is up-to-date.)
And as a thank you for letting us feature your pet, we will be offering a small surprise to the month’s featured Floofin. So, stay tuned for more details. And in the meantime, take a look at some of our August birthday pets! Happy Birthday, Floofins!